Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My Top 20 Movies

So I've decided that I want to do a personal top 20 movie list, which will be something of a project since I've seen a ton of movies. I will not do a post on it, but instead will post it as a sidebar on this blog.

The list will compose of a whole range of genres and I am going to try my best to not make it a homage to American-centricism and instead plan to include movies from a wide variety of countries (especially since I prefer foreign movies over most of the crap that gets released in my native country anyways).

Since I didn't see a lot of movies last year, at least not a lot from the Oscar list, and don't have immediate plans to watch the Oscars this year (I just know No Country for Old Men will not win Best Picture, so best to start my ban of the Oscars early) I figured I would make up for that by doing this project.

Don't expect it to be completed any time soon, since I both work full-time and go to school full-time and have a research paper I really need to start putting more work towards, but I do expect to it get it out within a month.

As for the comments that are soon to follow, if there is a movie not in the list it's a safe assumption that I haven't seen it or I have a really good reason for not including it in my top 20 list, so please refrain from "Oh my god, movie X isn't in your list!?" posts and instead focus comments on the choices I made instead and why I consider it superior to movie X (if I have seen movie X).

1 comment:

cwk said...

Seems to me that foreign films only seem better because we're exposed to less of them. When you see, say, an Italian film you're probably seeing one of the best Italian films, not the Italian counterpart to From Justin to Kelly.

So, to be fair, you need to compare the best US films to the best foreign films, and when you do that, I think the US acquits itself quite well.