Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Gloom

Author's Note: I will fully admit that I am very weak when it comes to poetry, or at least I think I am. I have a tendency to write only things that I can put to music, as if the words were actual song lyrics dancing in my head. This piece is my first attempt at breaking away from the mold and has been collecting cyberspace dust for awhile now. Tonight, while at work, I received some inspiration and decided to dust it off and try to finish it. I'm not sure if this piece is finished or not, and will probably be revisited at some point, but for now I am satisfied with at least sharing it.

Sporadic raindrops falling on my head

No one knows what's in store

Which makes today's life such a bore

And all I want to do is sleep instead

For the wrath of the night has won the day

The gloom spreads forth its icy touch

Layering us all with the darkness's dream

Speaking words I cannot understand

But sounding like bare feet running through the sand

I ask what it wants but it does not answer

Only mumbling and moaning to my ear's fright

Casting shadows of the landscape in flight

Finding dawn's light, to escape this prison, I search

Till tomorrow's awakening rising of light


No comments: