Saturday, March 15, 2008

God's Right Arm and Hell Week(s)

So I've decided to finally post about the book I did at Amory's birthday party. I was the first one to finish (no prize, was just glad I was able to finish) and I got a few positive reactions from what I had wrote. Reading it over a few more times the last few days has brought about me noticing some errors here and there and not being totally satisfied with it. However, that's me in a nutshell, I am never totally satisfied with any of the works I do at first and always strive to make them better over time, but I hear that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've decided that I am not going to rewrite the prologue any time soon, mostly due to time constraints and the fact that I am regarding this project as something to keep the juices flowing and allow me to always have something to work on, but not take the project too seriously since it will be just something that is posted to my blog and not necessarily something I want to pursue publishing yet. I might eventually go back to the prologue at some point and clean it up some, but I want to wait till I get some more chapters out before doing that.

The idea for the book came from an original idea I had for a campaign setting that has been brewing in my head for a few years now. I then quit role-playing and it has been put on the back burner ever since, until now.

My vision was of an alternate Earth, that had fallen into darkness, due to the forces of the antagonists from the Bible winning, and god leaving and allowing the world to fall into darkness because he lost all hope for mankind.

I don't want to go into too much back story, since one of the chapters is going to go into the story of the world further (or at least several chapters with tidbits here and there), but most of the characters were gleamed from the old testament as well as others taken from John Milton's Paradise Lost, which I am still trying to read in its entirety, but there was a lot of inspiration from that piece that has shaped my vision of the story presently. There will be a lot of back and forth time travel as the main protagonist follows her destiny and completes the steps necessary to get to the point where she can begin restoring Earth to the way it once was before the fall, and I imagine that the story will take several books, with twenty or so chapters in each one, to complete it. so needless to say, this story will keep me writing about something, even if I don't have a new piece to write from time to time.

Anyways, if you want to check it out, click on the image of the book cover below:




Thanks goes to Amory for this idea, it was great fun and I had an awesome time of it. I hope he does more events like this soon, because it was very stimulating and I stayed persistent in finishing this, despite having times when I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it. We'll see where this story will take us, and I already have a few chapters mapped out in my head, I just need to get them written down.

Which brings me to my next point....The last two weeks of the current quarter I am in at Indiana Business College, which are usually referred to as "Hell Week(s)", due to this I am not going to have a lot of time to write, so I might skip my usual weekly flash fiction piece for those two weeks, and if I do try to do something, they will be very short.

I still plan to get out this week's sometime before the weekend is out since I am wrapping it up now as we speak. Look for it being posted sometime today. I was also going to try and get the first chapter of god's Right Arm out before the end of the quarter too, but that won't be too realistic. Once the quarter is over expect things to go back to normal and hopefully I will be able to knock out a few of my goals pretty quickly that I wrote in my last post as well.

That about sums it all up, so until next time.


Go Obama! (I can't believe my primary is going to matter!)

1 comment:

EB said...

Wow! Quite prolific work here! I'm impressed.